Creating your own special memory jar with your family is a fun activity that comes from Camp Erin Miami/South Florida. Each family member can make their own memory jar or make one jar as a family. Decide together how the jars will be the most helpful for you on your grief journey.
There are some great ideas below!
- Choose tissue paper in colors that are special to you. It can be colors that remind your loved one or colors that represent feelings you have had on your grief journey.
- Using the scissors, cut the paper into different shapes, symbols, or strips.
- To decorate the jar, you'll Mod Podge one piece of tissue paper at a time. Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge on the jar using the foam paint brush (a little goes a long way). Add one piece of tissue paper on the jar with your own pattern and design.
- When you finished, set the jar in a safe place to allow the Mod Podge to dry for at least 2 hours.
Ways to use your jar:
- Fill your jar with your favorite pictures (or make your own).
- Write or draw memories to place in the jar.
- Place a small candle inside your jar to create a memorial for them.
- Write down different feelings you have experienced on your grief journey.
- Collect different tokens or symbols that remind you of your loved one
What you'll need:
- Jar (any size will work)
- Colored Tissue Paper
- Mod Podge
- Foam Paint Brush
Created in Partnership With Camp Erin Miami/South Florida